Home Immigration Top 3 Canadian Immigration Options for Foreigners That Could Lead to Permanent...

Top 3 Canadian Immigration Options for Foreigners That Could Lead to Permanent Residency

Do you intend to immigrate to Canada permanently? It looks more like a very difficult task, of cos, it is quite not easy but all hope is not yet lost. You can immigrate permanently to Canada if you qualify for one of the top Canadian immigration programs.

Most people immigrate to Canada to just study, work and experience Canada experience before making up their mind if they want to make the move to Canada permanently.

However, there are numerous people that want otherwise, they want to remain in the North American country permanently. Let’s briefly take a look at the top 3 ways in which foreign workers migrate to Canada that could lead to permanent residency.

Canadian Immigration Options for Foreigners That Could Lead to Permanent Residency

  1. Study in Canada

Study in Canada is one of the easiest and popular ways to immigrate to Canada. If you want to study in Canada as an undergraduate or further your studies, Canada has world-class numerous universities and colleges for you to pick from.

Aside from getting world-class education in Canada, studying in Canada could also provide you with valuable work experience which would help you secure permanent residency in Canada.

They are several provincial and territorial graduate programs that offer international students the opportunity to stay and work in Canada but the most popular graduate program is the Post Graduate Work Permit Program.

Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

The Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWPP) enables international students who recently graduated from a Canadian institution to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years.

The duration of your study program will determine the duration of your Canadian work visa. For instance, if your study program was 3 or 4 years (which is a standard bachelor degree duration), your work permit will only be valid for 3 years. Note that if your study program is 2 years or more, you would qualify for a three-year work visa for Canada.

  1. Work in Canada

Securing a job in Canada, either permanent or temporary is another good way to qualify for permanent residency. Numerous immigrants who secure a job offer usually end up qualifying to immigrate to Canada through the different Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). Note that, most provinces have occupation-specific programs that enable skilled workers who have been living and working in Canada for a particular duration to qualify for permanent residency.

Below is a list of some of the provincial and territorial programs that offer permanent residency for skilled workers with Canadian work experience.

Provincial Nominee Program Pathways to Permanent Residency

  • British Columbia: British Columbia Skilled Worker, Semiskilled and Entry Level Streams
  • Saskatchewan: Saskatchewan International Skills and Work Experience Streams
  • Ontario: Ontario Employer Job and Human Capital Streams
  • Alberta: Alberta Opportunity Stream
  • Manitoba: Manitoba: Skilled Workers in Manitoba/Overseas
  • Prince Edward Island: Prince Edward Island Critical Workers and Skilled Workers Streams
  • Yukon: Yukon Skilled Worker and Critical Impact Worker Streams
  • Nova Scotia: Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities, Skilled Worker, Occupations In-demand, Physician and Nova Scotia Experience (Express Entry) Streams
  • New Brunswick: New Brunswick Skilled Worker Stream
  • Northwest Territories: Northwest Territories Skilled Worker, Semiskilled and Entry Level Streams
  • Newfoundland & Labrador: Newfoundland & Labrador priority Skills and Skilled Worker Streams.

Successful applicants that apply through these programs will receive a nomination from the province or territory they applied to. A provincial nomination, which is equivalent to 600 permanent residency (PR) points can also be utilized if you are considering applying through Express Entry-linked PNP.

  1. Working Holiday

People between the ages of 18 and 35 may be eligible to receive a working holiday in Canada. The International Canadian Experience (IEC); Canada’s Working Holiday Visa Program has three programs that most countries can apply under, they include:

  • Working Holiday Visa
  • International Co-op Internship
  • Young Professionals

If you have gained at least one year of work experience and you have a full-time job offer in Canada, you might actually be eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class handled by Canada’s Express Entry System.

Note that, it necessary that you apply for Express Entry, meaning you have to create an Express Entry profile. Your Express Entry profile contains all your data and also your ability to settle in Canada.

Your profile will be ranked in the Express Entry pool against other applicants. If you meet the CRS cut-off score or you score higher, you will receive an ITA.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here